Wednesday, January 6, 2010

This Frustrates Me!

An interesting point was brought up in class yesterday. 80% of Wal-Mart employees are women; however, 80% of the managing positions are occupied by men. This made me think of another situation that occurred at my work a couple of months ago. Upon receiving a new manager I didn’t know what to expect, the only thing that I had been told by my fellow co-workers was that he was good looking. When I first met him, I have to admit I was extremely surprised. Despite the fact that he was very attractive, he was young... 24 years young to be exact and he had noted later on that he previously was a Wal-Mart employee. I was surprised by this considering I knew another co-worker of mine had applied for the job and had previously held this exact position at another store location. The only difference was... she was female!

Still too this day my other co-workers and I discuss the situation especially when my manager comes into work “not feeling well” (that is just his excuse for being hung over). I still don’t understand why a more experienced and qualified women did not get the job... this frustrates me!

2 comments:

  1. I too am frustrated by this and I don't even work here. I would also be more frustrated if I was the woman who did not get the job. Imagine how she feels knowing that he got it because he is a male, but can't even take enough responsibility to get to work because he is "not feeling well"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patriarchy in action! Its a sad world we live in.

    ReplyDelete